Main content

Match Report: Round 12, 2018

North Melbourne has gone down by 37 points to a strong Geelong side at GMBHA Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

After a spirited fightback from North, the Cats ran away with the game late to post a 14.12 (96) to 8.11 (59) victory.

The Cats and Kangaroos were ranked No.1 and No.2 for points conceded coming into the clash and the match was played in that fashion.

While the margin blew out in the final term, that wasn't reflective of the intensity much of the match was played with.

North Melbourne held the ascendancy early, a brutal tackle from Jy Simpkin on Zach Tuohy setting the tone.

However, the Roos were unable to convert their chances, something the Cats did on their way to taking the lead at the first break.

Tagger Ben Jacobs continued his fine season, nullifying Cats captain Joel Selwood in the opening half while finishing with 21 disposals himself.

The Kangaroos hit hard in the third term, winning the battle at the coalface as Ben Cunnington sparked to life and exerted his influence to help bring the margin back to 18 points at the final break.

However, missed shots early in the last quarter by Trent Dumont and Luke McDonald hurt North's chances of producing a marvellous comeback.

Shaun Higgins was once again oustanding for the Roos, finishing with 30 disposals and two goals.

"It wasn't our best performance," Kangaroos coach Brad Scott said.

"We didn't use the ball very well. Geelong pressured better than us. They looked more dangerous when we went forward and transitioned forward better than us and got back to support their defence better than us.

"We looked dangerous enough at times and got within 10 points in the last quarter and couldn't continue on."

Geelong: Tom Stewart went down to the rooms late in the second quarter with a left ankle injury but played out the game. Fellow backman Aaron Black hyperextended his left knee early in the third term and had ice on that joint, playing no further part. Midfielder Sam Menegola went down into the rooms in the final quarter after a lower back complaint. Ruckman Rhys Stanley needed stitches for his mouth in the second quarter after going off under the blood rule. Small forward Lincoln McCarthy was a late out with hamstring tightness.

North Melbourne: Running machine Billy Hartung suffered a finger injury on his right hand in the second quarter but returned to the field. In the third term, tough nut Kayne Turner had his left shoulder strapped but he finished the match. 


A huge test awaits Geelong, coming up against reigning premier Richmond at the MCG next Sunday afternoon. Meanwhile, North Melbourne has its bye before facing the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium in round 14.

GEELONG                             4.4     6.7     9.8     14.12     (96)
NORTH MELBOURNE     1.6     2.6     6.8       8.11      (59)

Geelong: Hawkins 3, Dangerfield 2, Tuohy, Buzza, Duncan, Parsons, Jones, Ablett, Kelly, Bews, Cunico
North Melbourne: Higgins 2, Ziebell, Cunnington Dumont, Turner, Wood, Goldstein

Geelong: Hawkins, Ablett, Blicavs, Stewart, Menegola
North Melbourne: Higgins, Goldstein, Jacobs, Cunnington, Williams

Geelong: Black (knee), Menegola (back)
North Melbourne: Ziebell (cut knee)

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Foot, Meredith, Williamson

Official crowd: 31,265 at GMHBA Stadium


The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs