tmedia
Main content

Twitter Facebook

Latest Videos

Wright extends deal

Paul Riordan  October 9, 2015 7:51 PM

PRESS PLAY above to watch the Sam Wright interview.

Talented defender Sam Wright has inked a new three-year-deal, coach Brad Scott revealed at the club’s Syd Barker Medal night.

Scott announced the news to 900 passionate guests at the Roos’ best and fairest count at Peninsula in Docklands tonight.

Wright, who was drafted to Arden St with pick 27 in the 2008 National Draft, played in 24 games in 2015, missing just one game in an impressive season in the royal blue and white.

The 25-year-old averaged 19 disposals this year, and impressed against some of the competition’s most dangerous forwards, as well as setting up North’s attacking play from deep inside opposition territory.

Wright had reached a one-year trigger clause in his existing contract earlier in the year but said he was excited to extend his footballing journey with the Roos even further.

“I’ve loved my time at the club and certainly wouldn’t want to be anywhere else,” Wright said.

“While missing out on a Grand Final was tough to take, the playing group is confident we are closer to taking that next step in 2016.”

North Director of Football Geoff Walsh said the club was thrilled to secure Wright’s signature.

“Sam is an important player here at Arden St and has a big future with the club,” Walsh said.

“We’re pleased to be able to confirm he has signed a new three year contract which will keep him at North until at least the end of the 2018 season.”

Wright was also able to play in his 100th match this season, finishing the year with 108 career games to his name.