He’s achieved almost all there is in football, and now Barry Cable has been given his own membership category at North Melbourne.
The two-time premiership champion’s name will sit alongside one of the most popular categories, renamed as the Barry Cable Social Club.
“I feel very humbled and honored”.
Cable’s intensity and tenacity saw him collect almost every award in football including an induction into the AFL’s Hall of Fame - ‘Legend’ status, North Melbourne Team of the Century, Syd Barker Medal, West Australian Football Hall of Fame, Sport Australian Hall of Fame and Indigenous Team of the Century.
“To be honest, it was a bit surprising in the fact that I spent five years at North but I guess it was in their most successful era but I feel very pleased and honored.”
After his retirement at the end of the 1979 season, he took on a coaching role at North from 1981-1984. While there was less success as a coach, he still managed to get the side into the finals in two of the three seasons he was in charge.
Cable made it to a few North games throughout the year, and while the season didn’t have a fairytale ending, he noted it was a period for North to “look to the future” with the number of young players coming though the club. “Commit yourself 100% and hard work”, was Cable’s response on how to attain success.
Perth, North Melbourne and East Perth was where he sparkled in his highly-respected 18-year career. His movement and sleek ball skills made him one of the game's greats.
- Member Bay seating on Level 1
- Access to the Barry Cable Social Club for all home games at Etihad Stadium (Select the away game option to receive access* to all away games in Melbourne)
- Priority two access to purchase a Grand Final ticket (if North Melbourne qualify)
- Priority access to finals tickets in Weeks 1 to 3 (if North Melbourne qualify)
- Ability to purchase guest passes into the Barry Cable Social Club for friends and family
- 10% off at the Roo Shop
- Member pack, including cap or scarf*, lanyard and ticket wallet, bumper sticker and fixture magnet
For more information on the Barry Cable Social Club and the benefits, click here